The Cisco Nexus® 3016 N3K-C3016Q-40GE Switch is a 40 Gigabit Ethernet switch platform. It is a high-performance, ultra-low-latency Ethernet switch providing line-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching in a compact one-rack-unit (1RU) form factor. The switch runs the industry-leading Cisco®NX-OS Software operating system, providing customers with robust features and functions that are widely deployed globally.
The line-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching at ultra-low latencies along with the serialization benefits of 40 Gigabit Ethernet switching make the Cisco Nexus 3016 an ideal switch platform for financial co-locations. This switch supports both forward and reversed airflow schemes with AC and DC power inputs.
The Cisco Nexus 3016 provides the following main benefits:
? Ultra-low latency
- The Cisco Nexus 3016 delivers ultra-low nominal latency that enables customers to implement high-performance infrastructures for high-frequency trading workloads. Customers can also achieve faster application performance because of the serialization savings from switching at 40 Gigabit Ethernet speeds.
? Wire-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching on all ports
- Layer 2 and 3 switching of up to 1.2 terabits per second (Tbps) and more than 950 million packets per second (mpps) is provided in a compact 1RU form-factor switch.
? Purpose-built on Cisco NX-OS operating system with comprehensive, proven innovations
- Virtual PortChannel (vPC) provides Layer 2 multipathing through the elimination of Spanning Tree Protocol and enables fully utilized bisectional bandwidth and simplified Layer 2 logical topologies without the need to change the existing management and deployment models.
- Power On Auto Provisioning (POAP) enables touchless bootup and configuration of the switch, drastically reducing provisioning time.
- Cisco Embedded Event Manager (EEM) and Python scripting enable automation and remote operations in data center.
- Advanced buffer monitoring reports real-time buffer utilization per port and per queue, which allows organizations to monitor traffic bursts and application traffic patterns.
- The 64-way equal-cost multipath (ECMP) routing enables Layer 3 fat tree designs and allows organizations to prevent network bottlenecks, increase resiliency, and add capacity with little network disruption.
- EtherAnalyzer is a built-in packet analyzer for monitoring and troubleshooting control-plane traffic and is based on the popular Wireshark open source network protocol analyzer.
- Precision Time Protocol (PTP; IEEE 1588) provides accurate clock synchronization and improved data correlation with network captures and system events.
- Full Layer 3 unicast and multicast routing protocol suites are supported, including Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Routing Information Protocol Version 2 (RIPv2), Protocol Independent Multicast sparse mode (PIM-SM), Source-Specific Multicast (SSM), and Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP).
? Network traffic monitoring with Cisco Nexus Data Broker
- Build simple, scalable and cost-effective network tap or Cisco Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) aggregation for network traffic monitoring and analysis.